2012년 4월 19일 목요일

Melissa's Blog #4


"My Favorite Lesson" Share a lesson that you have done that you feel good about. Describe the lesson and explain why it is a favorite of yours. What is the learning objective ("Students will be able to...")? How do the students react to this lesson? Include the name and grade level of this lesson.

I can’t really answer this question as easily as most teachers probably can. I see each class in the school (K-12) for an average of 9 lessons per year. I don’t have time to lecture, show many videos, or even spend too much time on demonstrations and explanations. I take some time for these things depending on the class, but I’d rather minimize my speaking time and maximize their activity time. I think I use a successful succession of lessons in teaching freestyle flip turns to MS students. They start with a somersault, add the arm position with floating aids, move the drills to the wall, practice planting their feet, push off on their back, and then finally push off while rotating to their stomachs. Even though there is no brainstorming and very little discussion, the students do receive individual attention and practice time. The class does not move on as a unit, so if a swimmer needs more time practicing one of the more basic skills then they can stay at that level. They can move on when the teacher has told them to try to next step or when they think they are ready.

댓글 2개:

  1. I think that a good method of assessment for the students would be to film them doing the turn at the beginning of the unit, then film them again at the end so they can see their progress.

    답글삭제
  2. Hey Melissa, I think only seeing each class for only 9 classes of the year, definately makes it hard to teach outside the pool for your classes. But i think your choice to not spend time "talking and teaching" about swimming is an important one. They will learn more by doing and become better skilled swimmers by doing, than they will by lecture style teaching. Although i teach English, my goal is to create better English speakers. A lot of schools and teachers in Korea don't give enough time for students to actually practice "do" English. So students may understand a lot about English, but whats the point if they can't speak. I try to eliminate the amount of speaking i do in class and have my students learn by doing and practicing there speaking like you do with your class. I think as teachers its important that we ask ourselves "Whats the goal for my students?" "What do my students want to take away from my class?" If they only want knowledge of a subject, then lecture and traditional teaching may be okay, but if they want to improve a skill or have a deeper understanding then we need to give our students a way to obtain this.

    답글삭제